Candidate Packet Checklist
- Application Agreement
- CV Template
- Skills Assessment Form – Clinical Track
- Skills Assessment Form – Research Track
- Time Sheet
- CE Record
- Case Log
All packets must be received by February 28th to be considered for examination.
Exams are given every other year, during even years.
Candidate Packet Checklist:
(see the Candidate Letter from AVBT Council of Regents for details)
- Cover letter
- Signed Application Agreement
- Candidate’s CV
- Proof of NAVTA and SVBT membership.
- Proof of graduation of an AVMA approved Veterinary Technician program and/or credentialed to practice as a Veterinary Technician in some State or Province of the United States, Canada, or other country.
- Two (2) letters of recommendations from the following: a VTS (Behavior), a supporting Veterinarian, or a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Behavior.
- Completion of the Skills Assessment Form: Clinical OR Research
- Time Sheet: Three years (a minimum of 4,000 hours) work experience or its equivalent in the field of animal behavior, clinical or research based. All experience must be completed within five years prior to the application.
- CE Record: A minimum of forty (40) continuing education (CE) hours related to veterinary behavior, animal behavior, or behavioral research within 5 years immediately prior to submitting application.
- A clinical case log OR research case log is maintained for one (1) year within the three (3) years immediately preceding the submission of the application.
- Clinical- A minimum of fifty (50) cases must be recorded
- Research- One (1) year within the three (3) years immediately proceeding application must consist of behavior research or research using behavioral observations as a major portion of the study.
- Five (5) detailed case reports (should come from your case log)
- Publish a peer reviewed article